[PHOTO] Re: photo credits | Sun, 3 Oct 1999 14:52:17" />

[PHOTO] Re: photo credits

I can understand and sympathise with the photographer's feelings in this matter, but I strongly dissagree with them.

When a photo is posted on the internet, without a copywright, it is considered Public Domain.

Public Domain means: any use without the concent of, or credit to the photographer as long as it is not used to generate revenue.

If the photo was used to generate revenue, then the photographer might have a valid claim, but it is very hard to collect unless the photo is copywrighted.

Ways to avoid photo use without credit: The best way I know of making sure an image is credited, no matter how many times it gets copied and used, is to write the words "photo by <photographers name>" right on the photo.  If it is that important for a photographer to be credited for their photos, then they should have them copywrighted or at least write their name on the photo.