[PHOTO] Re: Re: SPEC: Iris lazica | Tue, 4 Sep 2001 20:51:14" />

[PHOTO] Re: Re: SPEC: Iris lazica

  • Subject: [PHOTO] Re: [iris-photos] Re: SPEC: Iris lazica
  • From: Kenneth Walker <kenww@pacbell.net>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 18:47:40 -0700

If the styles come together to form a tube and have "gold dust"
on their surface, then it must be either I. unguicularis or I. lazica.
I'm attaching a photo of details of the styles from the plant that
I have that is supposed to be lazica. Judging from your description
of the difference in folliage from unguicularis, it sounds to me
like you have lazica.

ptyerman@ozemail.com.au wrote:

> Ken,
> Thanks for your response....
> > I believe it is difficult to distinguish the species based on
> flowers though lazica is supposed to have "larger fiddle-shapped
> falls". You might try comparing leaves. unguicularis has thicker,
> stiffer leaves with strong ribs particularly along the edges of the
> leaves. lazica is only weakly ribbed.
> The leaves on my lazica are VERY different to the unguicularis.  They
> are much wider, with a softer shinier appearance and much brighter a
> green.  As you say, much more of a sheath to them as well.  The clumps
>  of unguicularis and lazica only vaguely resemble each other though.
> If differentiation needs to be via feeling the texture of the leaf,
> then I do not have I. lazica but rather have something else.  Visually
> these are very different.
> >
> > Do you have different cultivars of I. unguicularis? It might be
> interesting to compare their leaves to see how much variation they
> have. I have a few cultivars, but most are recent and don't have many
> leaves to look at..
> I posted a number of photos a while back of some of the different
> cultivars I have.  All of them have basically the same type of leaf,
> and are all very different to what I have as I. lazica.  Now I am
> wondering what I actually have.  Sigh!
> Paul Tyerman
> Canberra, Australia

CLICK HERE to search