[PHOTO] SPEC: Moraea morlettii | Mon, 10 Sep 2001 06:48:47" />

[PHOTO] SPEC: Moraea morlettii

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] SPEC: Moraea morlettii
  • From: Paul Tyerman <ptyerman@ozemail.com.au>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 21:51:27 +1000

Howdy All,

This opened in my garden today.  Can someone please verify that it IS
Moraea morlettii?  I cannot find the species in my books to even find a

The plant is similar in growth habit to Moraea spathulata in that it has
the single leaf from which emerges the unbranching stem from which the
flowers emerge at the tip (at least that is the case so far), however the
solitary leaf is something like 4 inches wide and 4 foot long, and the
spike is an inch thick and 3 foot high.  The flowers on the other hand are
only around 2 inches wide and seem somewhat out of proportion to the
generous size of the rest of the plant.  Also unlike M. spathulata the
flower nods rather than pointign upwards.  Very reminiscent of a lilium

The flower observations are ONLY based from this one flower which is the
first time it has flowered for me, so they may not be typical.

Can anyone confirm whether this fits the bill for M. morlettii?

Monitoring Service trial