Canadian article about the USA...

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Canadian article about the USA...
  • From: "R.J. Baynum" <cyberphoenix@qwestonline.com>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 19:45:46 -0500

This was interesting..

R.J.

Subject:
           [Camping] Canadian Editorial - America: The Good Neighbor
     Date:
           Fri, 14 Sep 2001 18:19:14 -0500
     From:
           "M & J" <ruzich@mindspring.com>
       To:
           <ashara@hotmail.com>

This, from a Canadian newspaper, is worth sharing.

America: The Good Neighbor

Widespread but only partial news coverage was given recently to a remarkable
editorial
broadcast from Toronto by Gordon Sinclair, a Canadian television commentator. What
follows is the full text of his trenchant remarks as printed in the Congressional
Record:

"This Canadian thinks it is time to speak up for the Americans as the most
generous and
possibly the least appreciated people on all the earth.  Germany, Japan and, to a
lesser
extent, Britain and Italy were lifted out of the debris of war by the Americans
who
poured in billions of dollars and forgave other billions in debts. None of these
countries is today paying even the interest on its remaining debts to the United
States.

When France was in danger of collapsing in 1956, it was the Americans who propped
it up,
and their reward was to be insulted and swindled on the streets of Paris. I was
there. I
saw it.

When earthquakes hit distant cities, it is the United States that hurries in to
help.
This spring, 59 American communities were flattened by tornadoes. Nobody helped.

The Marshall Plan and the Truman Policy pumped billions of dollars into
discouraged
countries. Now newspapers in those countries are writing about the decadent,
warmongering Americans.

I'd like to see just one of those countries that is gloating over the erosion of
the
United States dollar build its own airplane. Does any other country in the world
have a
plane to equal the Boeing Jumbo Jet, the Lockheed Tri-Star, or the Douglas DC10?
If so,
why don't they fly them? Why do all the International lines except Russia fly
American
Planes?

Why does no other land on earth even consider putting a man or woman on the moon?

You talk about Japanese technocracy, and you get radios.  You talk about German
technocracy, and you get automobiles.  You talk about American technocracy, and
you find
men on the moon - not once, but several times - and safely home again.

You talk about scandals, and the Americans put theirs right in the store window
for
everybody to look at.

Even their draft-dodgers are not pursued and hounded. They are here on our
streets, and
most of them, unless they are breaking Canadian laws, are getting American dollars
from
ma and pa at home to spend here.

When the railways of France, Germany and India were breaking down through age, it
was
the Americans who rebuilt them. When the Pennsylvania Railroad and the New York
Central
went broke, nobody loaned them an old caboose. Both are still broke.

I can name you 5000 times when the Americans raced to the help of other people in
trouble. Can you name me even one time when someone else raced to the Americans in
trouble? I don't think there was outside help even during the San Francisco
earthquake.

Our neighbors have faced it alone, and I'm one Canadian who is damned tired of
hearing
them get kicked around. They will come out of this thing with their flag high. And
when
they do, they are entitled to thumb their nose at the lands that are gloating over
their
present troubles.  I hope Canada is not one of those."

Stand proud, America!

This is one of the best editorials that I have ever read regarding the United
States. It
is nice that one man realizes it. I only wish that the rest of the world would
realize
it. We are always blamed for everything, and never even get a thank you for the
things
we do.

I would hope that each of you would send this to as many people as you can and
emphasize
that they should send it to as many of their friends until this letter is sent to
every
person on the web. I am just a single American that has read this.

Monitoring Service trial