Re: TB: Barcelona R&I?

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: TB: Barcelona R&I?
  • From: "nmogens" neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 09:09:45 -0000

--- In iris-photos@y..., Linda Mann <lmann@v...> wrote:
"I wonder if this is one that has gotten mixed up in commerce, or if
it just varies a lot in color depending on soil/weather.

"The 1980 Schreiner catalog says: '...two-toned Iris with standards of
beige-champagne with violet infusions at midribs.  Wide, flaring falls
are rich wine red with tangerine beards.'  Late bloom.  That
description pretty well matches their photo and mine."--Linda Mann

Neil replies:

Opal's BR0WN'S SUNNYHILL GARDENS catalog of 1977 lists:
"BARCELONA ...Standards of deep champagne with violet infusion at
midribs.  Wide, flaring falls are wine-red with tangerine beard.
Well branched stalk.  Unique and distinctive.  A. M. '70"

Sounds just about like the Schreiner entry.

One thing about registration entries--often they are based on one or
another standard color chart.  The names given to colors are pretty
arbitrary, culturally based, often not horticulturally relevant, and
not always in accord with what we subjectively see in the garden and
what gets said in the sale catalog.  I don't think I'd get very
excited by the difference you note between the R&I and the catalog
descriptions.  As to photos, I occasionally see one that really looks
like the iris as it grows in the garden.  And I do mean
OCCASIONALLY.  Most of the time the three-dimensional impression and
subtle coloring of most varieties is so distorted both by photography
and color printing that Wiloh Wilkes once wryly asked Lloyd Austin
which iris she was to order--the one from his garden or the one
offered by his color printer.

Neil Mogensen  z 6b/7a near Asheville, Hendersonville, NC

4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/MVfIAA/2gGylB/TM