Re: CULT:Squirrel Damage

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] CULT:Squirrel Damage
  • From: Kitty Johnston kitty@ojai.net
  • Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 14:31:32 +0000

I came home from a trip to OR this week and found three of my new plants, only
in the ground two weeks, chewed and left for dead.  I don't think they will
survive; there is too little left of the rhizome and no real root structure.
We are having a horrible time here with rats and squirrels.  They are vastly
overpopulated and eating things I have had in the ground for years that were
never bothered before.  I think you are right; they are starving.  But if you
feed them, they increase even more.  I was trapping them and relocating to a
wilderness area but so many that my husband made me stop because of the gas!  I
am sorry for you as I know the heartache of caring for these plants and then
seeing them devastated.  I have been told the most ecological thing is to trap
and drown.  Several people here do that.  I am a chicken and just can't do it.

Good luck to you, Mike.
Kitty in Ojai, CA

Mike Greenfield wrote:

> Just before I left for 3 days I found this as shown in picture. Now I can
> put up some critter damage but war has been declared on squirrels here.
>
> When I came home I had 15 rhizomes dug up and 7 had been chewed on. It has
> been going on for several weeks now. Just too many squirrels around here and
> they must be starving.
>
> Mike Greenfield
> Zone 5b SW Ohio
> redear@infinet.com
> http://www.geocities.com/mikeg1310/

>                             Name: Squirrel damage w.jpg
>    Squirrel damage w.jpg    Type: JPEG Image (image/jpeg)
>                         Encoding: base64

Sell a Home for Top $
http://us.click.yahoo.com/RrPZMC/jTmEAA/MVfIAA/2gGylB/TM