Re: I like Harold's Idea

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] I like Harold's Idea
  • From: "Harold" harold@directcon.net
  • Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 23:37:03 -0700

The Sacramento Iris Society and Region 14 both have policies against selling
not named rhizomes at sales that they sponsor under the AIS banner. However
SIS is also responsible for its share of the annual fall white elephant sale
conducted by the Sacramento Garden and Arts Center. Unname cultivars are
acceptable at that sale so we do have an outlet other than the compost heap
for misidentified rhizomes.

As a commercial garden, the only aspect that I guarantee is that the
rhizome is true to name. When I discover a Not (whatever name) I put an "For
immediate sale" name stake next to it. When someone admires that clump, I
offer them the entire clump for a very low price that they find very
tempting. When they say Yes, I get the shovel and a container or plastic bag
to put the rhizome and dirt in. Very few customers care about the names and
most of those who do are not willing to go to the level of effort that it
takes to keep the plant identified.

Harold Peters
Beautiful View Iris Garden
2048 Hickok Road