Re: TB: RE: Three Seasons

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] TB: RE: Three Seasons
  • From: oneofcultivars@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 12:19:02 EDT

In a message dated 9/14/2002 10:51:36 AM Central Daylight Time, lmann@volfirst.net writes:

verdigris

I got curious and wondered if others might also be. In my part of the world we just call them pale olive or green. <g>

Main Entry: ver·di·gris
Pronunciation: 'v&r-d&-"grEs, -"gris, -gr&s also -"grE
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English vertegrez, from Old French vert de Grice, literally, green of Greece
Date: 14th century
1 a : a green or greenish blue poisonous pigment resulting from the action of acetic acid on copper and consisting of one or more basic copper acetates b : normal copper acetate Cu(C
2H3O2)2H2O
2 : a green or bluish deposit especially of copper carbonates formed on copper, brass, or bronze surfaces

Pronunciation Key

© 2001 by Merriam-Webster, Incorporated
Merriam-Webster Privacy Policy

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor