Re: Move Iris In October

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Move Iris In October
  • From: oneofcultivars@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 11:56:07 EDT

In a message dated 9/23/2002 8:30:00 AM Central Daylight Time, jfrizzell@tbr.state.tn.us writes:

Located between Dayton and Cinncinnati so that's
Zone 6 I think.

My thoughts are yes it would be better to dig and replant than to overwinter
in storage. I have never had to move irises i October so I was wondering if
anyone had and what success or failure they met with.

Irises are, on occation, moved here year round. Those moved in clumps with dirt attached rarely suffer ill effect in either growth or bloom reguardless of when they are moved. On those divided into single rhizomes bloom is sometimes retarded unless the fan is fully mature when moved. If moving in mid winter (Jan or Feb) and probably other cold months it is best to not trim foliage and to replant immediately. I find irises far tougher and more adaptable than most give them credit for being.

Moving some stuff and redoin' a bed now- some in clumps and seperatin' some.

Lazy and inconsistant Bill Burleson 7a/b
Old South Iris Society

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor