In a message dated 9/6/2003 11:54:59 AM Central Daylight Time, donald@eastland.net writes:

New growth and new acquisitions are choice morsels for a grasshopper banquet, unfortunately.  I'm going to have to lay some $$$ and see if I can limit the damage.

So you think temp and moisture interrelated in your aril dormancy experience? Have they ever gone dormant when the temp did not exceed 90 degrees?

I've never quite gotten the hopper issue out of my head. Regularly gettin' my hat and so very near bald, scraped up head beat up by limbs from cedar trees has something to do with it I'm sure. Me wonderin' surely there must be something these things are good for. Chests constructed from eastern red cedar have long been a Southern tradition to deter insects (moths). While I don't think a mulch of cedar chips would eliminate hoppers, I do wonder if it might not reduce damage. Spect a guy would have to do a pretty large area to find out. I just wonder and wonder round here. I wonder in my head. I wonder in the flower beds. I just wonder and wonder.

Fallin' out of the chair now thinkin' bout lantana juice, cedar chips, polk berries and blenders.

Bill Burleson 7/8

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here