Re: Maerz & Paul

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Maerz & Paul
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 14:07:29 -0400

Maerz & Paul color charts have been out of print for a number of years--since about 1939, I think, information I got from Keith Keppel, but I would have to go find that e-mail to be sure of the date.  Keith said it shows up on E-Bay from time to time.  You can expect to pay a fairly serious price ($50 and up) for copies with significant age showing.

Publisher?  I think "Maerz & Paul" may have been the name of the publisher.

The Registrar's office has color reference books for the use of the person in that position.  Keith also has a copy or two of his own, one of which was originally the property of Agnes Whiting, I believe.

One might have to go to a large library to look up the Maerz & Paul, then check the color plate to see what color is described.  The registrations that use these numbers, such as Keppel's, also use the *name* of that color in the M & P, which gives me as much information as I usually need.  Compare Keppel's registrations with catalog descriptions and you will find what was highly precise and technical in the registration will be translated into conventional terms.  HAPPENSTANCE is registered with a complex M & P description, but rendered "pink with a peach tone" or some such in most listings, for example.

Neil Mogensen  zone 7 western NC near Asheville

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
Click Here!