  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] IB: AZ AP
  • From: "Cheryl Leigh Chamberlin" clc@cherylleigh.com
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 08:58:06 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "laurief" <laurief@paulbunyan.net>
To: <iris-photos@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Friday, 12 September 2003 9:30 AM
Subject: [iris-photos] IB: AZ AP

> Unfortunately, this first year plant bloomed very late - after the
> voracious, tiny, black, iris-eating beetles hatched.  I hope it'll bloom
> a bit earlier in future years so I'll be able to get a decent pic of an
> undamaged bloom.  Anybody have any suggestions for effective control of
> these blasted beetles that won't damage iris buds and flowers?

Hmmm. Beneficial nematodes? Get those beetles while they're still grubs?<G>
I didn't apply any this year and booooooy was I sorry! I had Japanese
beetles obliterating my roses (hey, would those bag-a-bug traps work for the
ones that are eating the irises?) and I found what I think are two borers in
a CALIENTE rhizome that I dug up. I didn't think they were borers when I saw
them because the borers I had two years ago were white or pink, but the ugly
red things in the CALIENTE rz did look like the pics that Mike Greenfield

Cheryl Leigh