[PHOTO] MDB: VELVET TOY | Tue, 16 Sep 2003 08:09:38" />

[PHOTO] MDB: VELVET TOY

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] MDB: VELVET TOY
  • From: laurief laurief@paulbunyan.net
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 03 08:09:03 -0600

Another atypical littleun that HATES my garden.  I've been growing VT
since '00 with very little increase and no bloom until this single,
deformed flower struggled open this spring.  As luck would have it, one
of the dogs snapped it off as soon at it opened, too. I can't imagine why
an MDB that has even been reported to rebloom in MN is having such a
difficult time for me, esp when most other MDBs do beautifully.  And I
know it must have a much nicer flower elsewhere.  Surely it couldn't have
won an HM looking the way it does in this pic!

VELVET TOY (B. Dunbar by D. Sindt, 1972) MDB, 7", M & RE (rebloom
reported in CA, IL, IN, MI, MN, MO, NE, NJ, OR, VA, WA, Ont, zones 4-7,
9). S. deep violet; F. deep violet with white ray pattern; white beard.
HM 1973

laurief@paulbunyan.net
http://www.geocities.com/lfandjg/
USDA zone 3b, AHS zone 4 - northern MN