  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] AB: JEWEL OF OMAR
  • From: donald@eastland.net
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 14:41:02 GMT

> This one's been sitting in my bed increasing like crazy
> since '00 with nary a bloom ... until this year.
Suddenly 11 stalks shot
> up this spring!  JoO goes nearly dormant here during the
summer and is
> just now starting to put out fresh growth again.  I'm
surprised to see
> this sort of dormancy in a quarterbred, <snip>.  Is this
typical behavior for other OB-s?

JoO goes completely dormant under the growing conditions
it has on my place.  For me, depending on those
conditions, OB-s, OGB-s and RB-s tend to all go dormant.
They generally aren't much different in their behavior
than those with more aril content.  I have found that
different locations result in different behavior.  E.g.
with two clumps of AT LAST, one went completely dormant
very early and is just now reappearing while in another
location the clump never went completely dormant.  The
clumps were from an original clump divided and in the
original clump it always went dormant.  JoO grew rampantly
in place for about 5 years with prolific bloom, then
started to decline.  Dividing and replanting year before
last started the growth/bloom all over again, though like
nearly all the arilbreds this year, the bloom froze out.

Try some of Mathes's intros.  They seem to be really
strong growers for me in terms of arilbreds.  Don't know

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 8, USA

This message was provided by TXOL Internet.