Re: AB: JEWEL OF OMAR

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] AB: JEWEL OF OMAR
  • From: "Donald Eaves" donald@eastland.net
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 21:04:53 -0500

Hello Chris,
> (Gingerbread Man x I. balkana) X Welcome Reward

GINGERBREAD MAN = SDB
I. balkana = MDB species
WELCOME REWARD = OB

So JEWEL OF OMAR would likely be OB-.  Don't the smaller beardeds grow
similar to what is described?  They don't like my summers so don't do well
here.  That was one reason I directed to Laurie to some of Mathes's ABs.
ANACRUSIS, e.g., has I. mellita in the background and several of his intros
contain A or a sibling of A as parents.  I've been surprised they hold up in
my summers, but the AB route has been the best means of being able to grow
the smaller iris class.

> Can somebody elaborate of the parentage here ?

OMAR'S VALOR is the only registered descendent of JoO that I've found.  I
did manage to get seeds once from ANACRUSIS, but insects ruined the pods
before they were ripe so no germination.  It hasn't been a willing parent
and it was very hard to get the pods.  Possibly I would never have had any
germination anyway.  Seed count was low - 4 seeds from 3 pods.  For all my
AB centric pollen daubing, this was a case of trying for the smaller iris
that could withstand the hot summers and do well.   I think it's one where
seeds will be few and far between.

> Any success podding with JOO Donald ?

Seems like it might be a good one in the Northern garden.  It's turned out I
have a good sized clump, but during the summer the dogs found something in
that bed and dug the clump up and ruined a lot or it would be bigger still.
I wasn't sure how much of it would reappear (if any), this fall.

> This sounds like an interesting
> plant to add to the Northern garden here.

Donald

Buy Remanufactured Ink Cartridges & Refill Kits at MyInks.com for: HP $8-20. Epson $3-9, Canon $5-15, Lexmark $4-17. Free s/h over $50 (US & Canada).
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=6351
http://us.click.yahoo.com/0zJuRD/6CvGAA/qnsNAA/2gGylB/TM