[PHOTO] what grasshoppers can do | Wed, 24 Sep 2003 18:46:00" />

[PHOTO] what grasshoppers can do

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] what grasshoppers can do
  • From: "Donald Eaves" donald@eastland.net
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 18:44:43 -0500

Here's a photo of what they can do en masse when they are hungry.  There are
only 4-5 clumps eaten this way at the moment, but this is what I saw all
summer long last summer - and even worse.  I put the watch in for
perspective.  This is WITCH'S WAND and it's been in place for almost 4
years.  There's another WW clump that has escaped this amount of damage in
another bed.  I'm ready for them to go away.  The seedlings become rather
expensive since the spray I've found isn't cheap and doesn't last long.  But
seedlings cannot survive this kind of chewing.  (Also a pretty good
approximation of what my soil looks like after it has been heavily amended
for a few years :(.