Re: what grasshoppers can do

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] what grasshoppers can do
  • From: "Donald Eaves" donald@eastland.net
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 19:09:29 -0500

> Wow, this looks more like a large hungry animal ate your plants right to
> the rhizome !!!!

Hordes of them more than equal any large animal.  I grow hundreds of iris
and last summer they looked like this or worse from early June 'til the
middle of October.  This year hasn't been nearly like that and I hope NEVER
to see another like last year.  Some irises didn't survive the onslaught.
Surprisingly, with the mild winter they recovered and put on a lot of
increase.  Compensation, I suppose.  Some looked as much like grassy clumps
as they did iris clumps.  Also, surprisingly, the bloom appeared to be going
for near normal bloom.  The three hard freezes during bud and bloom season
ended that, but I still had a number of blooms.  It's one reason the irises
are here and other plants have come and gone.