Re: what grasshoppers can do

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] what grasshoppers can do
  • From: "Donald Eaves" donald@eastland.net
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 06:11:20 -0500

Kermit,

> Years ago there was a biological dust of some kind of
> spore for grasshoppers.  Don't know if it is still
> available.

That would be Nosuma Locustae spores, commonly known as Nolo Bait.  It is
not readily available in my area, but I have used it in prior years and last
year and again this year.  I had to request a special order of it from the
feed store.  I suppose they have minimum order quantities so they ordered
about 30 containers of the stuff.  At $15/container I didn't propose to use
quite that much and I think they got stuck with most of what they bought.
In addition, they didn't store it properly so I suspect the last containers
I bought were worthless.  It is not an instant control but takes several
years to build up in the grasshopper population.  I'm hoping subsequent
seasons have less numbers of grasshoppers as a result.  They probably won't
order it again for me.

> Have you looked for biological controls?

Other than Nolo Bait, birds, small animals that eat them and the weather, I
don't know of other natural controls.  Except for Nolo Bait, other than
encouraging the varmints that eat them to the extent that it's possible the
natural controls are beyond my control.  Certainly the weather is beyond it.
Surprisingly, squirrels will eat them.  I learned that last year when there
were so many grasshoppers.  Armadillos also, as well as skunks, possums and
raccoons.  Probably my copperheads eat some as well, but they aren't welcome
in spite of that.  They all have the same problem - and that is catching
them.  For that the birds are my best friends.  I had fat birds last year.

Donald

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511