HYB: Too Sweet X

  • Subject: [iris-photos] HYB: Too Sweet X
  • From: "Cordesview" <cordesview@m33access.com>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 10:10:55 -0400

Hi Mary, and all!
Yes, I would love to share my experience with Too Sweet!  First, I'll let you all know that this is my first year hybridizing.  WHAT a trip!  So much fun went into it that I can't see how *famous* :-) hybridizers could consider it as work!  Thanks to all of you out there who encouraged me!
Too Sweet was my most productive pod parent.  Yesterday I harvested all the pods in my garden that had not turned yellow, since I have to get busy and transplant before the dreaded "W" season sets in (accompanied by s.n.o.w. . . this is Michigan, folks!)  From Two crosses on Too Sweet, I got two pods.  (uncanny, isn't it?)  First was Too Sweet X Mountain View  in which I harvested 63 seeds.  The second pod on TS was Too Sweet X Fogbound  produced 60 seeds.  Now I have to find a place to put the seedlings that germinate!
Paternal crosses with TS were Sambuca X T.S. . . only 8 seeds; Carl and Sissy X T.S., 48 seeds; and Ice Cream Treat X T.S. did not take.
I sure hope this wasn't too confusing for everyone!  Excitement has been the key highlight for my gardening experience this past summer, and it might just take a toll on my typing.  I have been exploring new avenues with the iris world, and loving every bit of it!
By the way, does anyone know what you get when you cross a Pink with a Black??
Loving my hobby, (!)
Adam Cordes
Hillman, Michigan
Region 6