TB: Blue Kentucky Girl

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] TB: Blue Kentucky Girl
  • From: "Cordesview" <cordesview@m33access.com>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 11:52:53 -0400

Top 'O The Mornin', everyone!

Here is a photo of Blue Kentucky Girl (Schreiner 2002)

This was a bonus plant from Schreiner's that year, and I really like it!  I harvested a 4 1/2" X 3" pod off it, which only contained 27 seeds.  I had really hoped for more, but I'm happy with that!  The parent plant of the pod is either Fancy Dress or Celebration Song.  I also had a second pod on the plant, which resulted in only 3 seeds from Du Toit (Muska '99)  .  I am currently in a quandary on Du Toit, since my plant doesn't match the description.  But, that is a different article in itself.  I'll get it to ya'll in the future. ;-)

BKG is a VERY tall plant. . . 42 inches.  This established clump had four stalks and great increase, as I had a chance to share it with some friends.  None of the stalks "fell" over, but they were bent from our NE Michigan crosswinds, as evidenced in this picture. Maybe the cross with Fancy Dress or Du Toit  will result in some smaller stalked plants, but keep the sturdiness and branching of the BKG mother. :-)

From Michigan:
Adam Cordes
Hillman, Michigan
Region 6