TB: Dreaming Clown?? (Muska '99)

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] TB: Dreaming Clown?? (Muska '99)
  • From: "Cordesview" <cordesview@m33access.com>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 10:52:36 -0400

Okay, Need some help on this one. . .

I received this iris in the massive shipment to me 3 years ago for our Iris Show/Sale.  I grew it out, and it was labeled as Du Toit (Ladislav Muska 1999).  However, it does not match the description. . .

Du Toit (Ladislav Muska 1999) TB, 34" Late.  Standards medium cream; style arms white, yellow band.  Falls cream with yellow veining, narrow gold rim; beards light yellow, orchid horn; ruffled, lightly laced; slight fragrance.  (((Mys Horn X Visual Arts) X Sky Hooks) X Lady Madonna) X Soissons.  Muska 1999.

So, I wondered if it could be the other Muska intro that came in the same order.  Dreaming Clown (Muska 1999)

Dreaming Clown (Ladislav Muska 1999)  TB. 36", Midseason.  Standards light brown, lilac veining, midrib deep lilac; style arms light brown.  Falls vanilla yellow ground heavily lined brown maroon, more lightly lined lilac; beards yellow mustard; ruffled, laced; sweet fragrance.  Spacelight Sketch X (Zuzana x Calicoball).  Muska 1999.

Now, since I was returning all these plants to our club for the sale this spring, I potted up all the rhizomes marked Dreaming Clown, which had stalks but had not bloomed yet.  But this stalk (of the iris labeled Du Toit) was just about ready to open before the show, so I kept the plant to hold over a year.  I am thinking that the iris names were switched by Riverview Iris, but I never had a chance to see if the other plant looked like the description of Du Toit, I just have this photo to go by.

Hey, am I totally confusing ya'll yet?  It's a long story, I know.  Maybe someone out there has a photo of Du Toit  or Dreaming Clown to compare with this photo.  If so, please post!  At any rate, I love this plant and wish I could keep it longer to evaluate how well it performs in a clump!

Thanks!
Adam Cordes
Hillman, Michigan
Region 6