Umbrata seedling

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] Umbrata seedling
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 09:12:55 -0400
  • R0c0ed: (from lindsey@localhost) by lorien.mallorn.com (8.11.7/8.11.7) id i8MDDeT03017 for mhonarc; Wed, 22 Sep 2004 08:13:40 -0500

I think I may have posted this before, but it's an example of a
non-umbrata x peach amoena umbrata yielding an umbrata seedling.

TEA LEAVES X PEACH SPOT. Not "classic" umbrata appearance (no light rims
that match standards that I could see), but definitely the overlay of
color that Neil talks about being genetic umbrata.

The color layering is conspicuous in the falls, where the 'chipped'
surface layer exposes the lighter underlayer.  The petals on this one
were a bit brittle.

Not in a class with Neil's gorgeous POWER WOMAN, just an inheritance
example.

And one that surprised me with such dark color from two pale parents.
Several more from this cross should bloom next spring.

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8