Re: Umbrata seedling

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Umbrata seedling
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 11:20:15 -0400
  • R0c0ed: (from lindsey@localhost) by lorien.mallorn.com (8.11.7/8.11.7) id i8MFKTD18899 for mhonarc; Wed, 22 Sep 2004 10:20:29 -0500

You are right - no increase, and no luck setting pods, & no pollen.

I didn't try very hard tho, because I couldn't figure out what to cross
it with.  The hafts were a lot messier than a lot of what is available,
and I was assuming there would be opportunities for crosses another year
:-(

Siblings are not producing any increase either, & some are on their
second summer.

At the time this bloomed, I still wasn't scratching surfaces to see
where the pigments were.  Noticed the scrapes in the photo when I pulled
it up a few days ago.  I don't think you had entirely convinced me by
last spring that "classic umbrata"  (light rims matching standards) is
the same genetic pattern as layered color <without> the light rims.  I'm
still not 100% convinced, but a lot closer <g>.  Will have to see it
with my own crosses. And will be sure to scratch a lot of petals and
look at both top and back sides of the falls next spring.

< I think you mentioned that this seedling bloomed without increase.  I
see the tag on it. .. Tell Muhlestein used to say one of the ways to
give bloom-outs as much time as possible to increase was to set a pod.
Did you get seedlings from this? Neil Mogensen  z 7 western NC
mountains>

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/2gGylB/TM