Re: AIS: Irisregister Namelist Database Update

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] AIS: Irisregister Namelist Database Update
  • From: Robt R Pries <rpries@sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 12:56:03 -0700 (PDT)

I have been too busy to read most of my e-mail, but John Jones post caught my eye. At least five times it caught my eye, since it was cross posted to every list I am on. But I fully agree that this is a benchmark in Iris data and should be celebrated. I thought there would be scores of individuals congratulating John, but then maybe all those posts were sent privately as I was disposed to do. There must be 40,000 to 50,000 Iris names. No small task even with a team of helpers. Too often we take for granted this type of work. I want to publicly raise three cheers to John for doing such a thankless job. Of course this is only a benchmark in his Promethian task. But hey! if we don't celebrate the progress we make as an Iris Society, who would be encouraged to do even more.

John I Jones <jijones@usjoneses.com> wrote:
This is great news !!!!

The irisregister Namelist database now contains every iris name
registered up to 9/9/2004

It also contains all the "reserved" names as of the same date.
Hybridizers in particular will appreciate the complete list.

Note that the names from 2001 to date do not have any indication of
type or awards, just the year of the publication in which they were
registered.

Pass the word along to anyone you might think is interested.

John | "There be dragons here"

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Fremont, California, USA
Director, American Iris Society