Re: Re: NOIDS [was: Just in from seller]

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re: NOIDS [was: Just in from seller]
  • From: Robt R Pries rpries@sbcglobal.net
  • Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 05:18:21 -0700 (PDT)

John: I would also add to your note that verbal descriptions in the checklist bring different thoughts to different people. What I call maroon may not be the same as what you call maroon. Of course no Iris is really red or blue. Yet many of us see blue when we want to. Personally I think that is better than seeing red. Lets face it trying to communicate anything is often very difficult.

John I Jones <jijones@usjoneses.com> wrote:
At the risk of being a spoil sport, I have to give one of my periodic
soundings about identifying irises from digital pictures.

Lets begin with the garden: The same cultivar will look slightly
different depending on the conditions of the soil in the different

Now about taking the picture: Different cameras (either digital or
conventional) take pictures with different casts to them. Different
times of day make an iris look very different in an image. When you
compress an image into a jpeg file, youchange the color slightly
(although probably not noticably on the standard monitor).

Lets say you scan a picture, different scanners scan pictures with
different casts to them.

The magic monitor: Even if I could get a scan of a color chip from a
standard set (like the RHS color set) to look the same on my monitor as
the chip looks itself, unless I had a very expensive color calibration
device for my monitor, and you had a similar device, both of us having
very expensive monitors, the color you would see on your monitor would
probably look very different from the way it appeared on mine.

I have two large, reasonably high end, identical monitors on my system
(no color calibrators) connected to two different interfaces (made by
the same company) and the same picture looks very different on the two.

Until the technology improves, you just cannot use any digital image to
compare colors, or identify a particular iris. The best you can do is
get a list of candidates to grow right next to the NOID and see then if
they are the same.

John the grinch

>>> website¬ ¬ http://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/pbswiki/index.php/
>>> HomePage¬
>>> It takes a while to go from page to page because of file size, but
>>> it is a format called a wiki that allows for anyone to add pictures.
>>> The moderator of course needs to review these and it is quite a
>>> task. Nonetheless there are options such as this if we learn how to
>>> use them. Unfortunately I have not had the time to learn how to
>>> create a Wiki.
>>> Efforts for collecting photos are at the moment confined to the
>>> various sections and their is no group that has tackled TB's.
>> ‚Ė™ ¬ Visit your group "iris-photos" on the web.
>> ¬
>> ‚Ė™ ¬ To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
>> ¬
>> ‚Ė™ ¬ Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
>> Service.
John | "There be dragons here"