Re:HYB:seed storage

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re:HYB:seed storage
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2005 16:20:22 -0400

I do as you do, Betty, marking on the envelope the cross code (year letter
and cross serial number) with parentage and seed count, and how many pods
involved if more than one.  I've been doing this for a good many years,
after spilling paper cups and so on taught me that if I wanted to retain and
be certain of identity, I'd better seal an envelope.

When I plant in October, I transfer the information from the envelope to the
stake or marker, sometimes including the parentage, sometimes not, depending
on mood, the phase of the moon--God alone knows what motivates my vagrant
procedures.  I have learned to double mark my crosses--one buried with the
remaining ungerminated seeds in their pot at the end of the germinated
line-outs, the larger, standing one at the top left of the row.

I keep that consistent, as the ID of the plant is always to the left of the
plant wherever in the garden the plant, or seedlings, or whatever occurs.
One reads from left to right in European-originating linguistic zones.

Arabic and Hebrew would, of course, do just the opposite.  The written
languages flow from right to left.

I love the beauty of healthy iris seeds.  No two pods ever look exactly
alike, but there is a beautiful gloss, almost a glitter, to the rich, warm
russet to chocolate colors of the dry, wrinkled seeds.

Neil Mogensen  z 7  Reg 4  western NC mountains