Re: Re: CULT: Lazy Man's New Flower Bed

  • Subject: [PHOTO] Re: [iris-photos] Re: CULT: Lazy Man's New Flower Bed
  • From: Gloria Jean Johnston gloriajeanjohnston@yahoo.com
  • Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 10:24:06 -0700 (PDT)

I do the same, and fortunately, I have a good source for well rotted horse manure compost.  However, I do one thing differently; I use about six inches of paper shredder shreds, then sprinkile them hard and tramp around on them to flatten.  This seems to work as well as the newspaper, and gets rid of the shreds.  I do not subscribe to a newspaper anymore, and I have read that the colored circulars you get for free aren't good for the environment.  I work in a medical clinic and  there are tons and tons of papers shredded every day.

Any comments?

Mary Swann-Young <MryL1@msn.com> wrote:

This is my third year doing this.  Thought some of you might be interested.  My yard had the topsoil stripped and sold when the house was built 35 years ago.  I lay down 6 layer thickness of newsprint (any less and the dandelions and clover find their way through) overlapping all joints.  Then lay on at least 8 inches of (very fluffy) horse manure compost and let it sit until next year, when I will dig only where I'm planting and use the soil from the bottom of the hole for the top 4 inches, mixing the rest in the hole.  Any weeds that sprout between (very few from blown-in seeds) are really easy to pull out of this light, fluffy compost.  So far, no rot in my climate doing this.

BTW, this was not my idea. I read it somewhere on the internet and decided to try it.

Anybody have a picture of Bernice's Legacy?  Stalk up on it and I bought it sight unseen.

Mary Lou, near Indianapolis, Z5

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS