Re: welcome and Awesome Blossom

  • Subject: [PHOTO] Re: [iris-photos] welcome and Awesome Blossom
  • From: iris4u2@comcast.net
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 11:56:20 +0000

Iris-Photos, The blossom is "Awesome".  I wish I could say the same about the rest of the plant.  In Colorado (at my garden) the stalk never seems to get much more than 24" with huge blossoms.  A little disproportionate!  I have tried growing it in different locations and it doesn't make any difference.  Does anyone have the same growth habit?
Bob in Denver
Welcome to the group. You will find several other AZ growers in the group who should be able to very specific advice. My experience in the California Central Valley is that afternoon shade would be the ideal. If the irises have to be in full sun, expect the foliage to be ragged and have burnt tips at the very least.
Since this in a photo oriented group,  I am included a photo of Awesome Blossom (Black, 2000). Size of the blossom is what makes it awesome.
Harold Peters
Beautiful View Iris Garden
2048 Hickok Road
El Dorado Hills, CA 95762