Re: RE:Soaking iris seeds to leach out inhibitors

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] RE:Soaking iris seeds to leach out inhibitors
  • From: "Riley Probst" rprobst02@earthlink.net
  • Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 15:46:26 -0500

Regarding soaking seeds, Ben Hager told me seeds did not need to be soaked but if I did to be sure and drain the water off 2-3 times a day.  If the water is discoloring and a odor has occurred, the cellular material of the seed is disintegrating.  He said that was not a thing to allow to happen.  Seeds needs regular fresh water to soak out the inhibitor.  Regular rinsing is equivalent to out doors with regular rain flushing the seeds.
Just a different thought but that is what I have done for a long time (years) and I always have good germination.
Shirley Trio