Re: HYB: Matrix for red rebloomers?

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: HYB: Matrix for red rebloomers?
  • From: "Robin Shadlow" rshadlow@wildmail.com
  • Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 15:16:10 -0500

I have fairly limited choices for the rebloom parents if I actually want them
to rebloom here.  So out of what I tried, Matrix did throw some of the best
seedlings.  In general with one reblooming parent I had the most problems
getting any size to the bloom, branching often lacked a spur and there was
very little ruffling.  Surprisingly width was better than I was expecting.

  The Matrix seedlings had much larger flowers than most.  Out of the larger
crosses, I had several with decent branching and even a few with some
ruffling.  I was using Matrix primarily because I wanted something that would
impact color a bit less than the darker selfs might.  Because of course, it
was Scottish Reel and Wearing Rubies that provided the color.  I would
recommend a taller parent to cross it with as well.

I do have Bernice's Legacy, hopefully it will bloom for me.  Not this year
though by the looks of it.

Robin Shadlow
zone 5 NE

where my youngest daughter on learning that Australia's iris season is just
beginning now suggested that we should buy a house there too and live there
every October

Hurricane relief - how you can help: http://go.care2.com/katrina

http://www.Care2.com  Free e-mail. 100MB storage.  Helps charities.