Re: Armadillos

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos]Armadillos
  • From: Jan Lauritzen janicelauritzen@yahoo.com
  • Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 15:24:30 -0700 (PDT)

Pearl, Sound like our moles.  They tunnel just under the surface for worms, etc. creating a raised soil path which, when you step on it, collapses and could cause someone to trip if they were not careful.  Under the lawn areas you just sink a little.  We don't worry about them much.  The gophers can do much more damage when one gets the idea he likes the taste of iris rhizomes.
Jan

Pearl Doyle <pdoyle@our-town.com> wrote:
Armadillos are hunting grubs. I don't think they eat the plants but they do mis-place them. They aerate the soil, but they don't bother to level it. They are more a nuisance than anything else.

Of course, we do not have any armadillos in Los Angeles.  What do they eat? the plants or the insects and worms around them?

Jan in Chatsworth

Yahoo! for Good

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS