Re: HYB: tiny rhizomes

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] Re: HYB: tiny rhizomes
  • From: Linda Mann lmann@lock-net.com
  • Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 12:34:26 -0400

Three same age seedlings from IMMORTALITY, CELEBRATION SONG, and TRANS
ORANGE breeding.

The only one that has bloomed so far is the little one in the
foreground.  It produced a short (foot tall) stalk this spring with one
or two blooms.  Although they might look similar to surviving increases
off a rhizome that died, this is the size of the foliage mature rhizomes
of this little critter produces. Now that it's started raining and
cooling off again, it will make <more> foliage, but not a whole lot
bigger.

Seems to happen fairly frequently in seedlings from IMMORTALITY and
relatives - very small rhizomes, <abundant> increase, lots of small,
"grassy" foliage.  I think I remember Walter Moores saying he saw some/a
lot of the same kind of thing from rebloom crosses.  Seems to show up
with greater frequency in some types of crosses than others.  Always
produce a lot of foliage, few bloom stalks, usually very low bud count
(4 at most), very retro blooms (narrow, droopy falls, small flowers).

I've always assumed it was coming from recombination of genes from dwarf
ancestral contributors to both some once blooming (probably mostly I.
aphylla?) and reblooming TBs.

Who knows what kind of dwarf gene combinations you are getting from
arilbreds combined with TBs, but if there are TBs on <both> sides of
your seedling's family tree, there is potential for dwarf in the
seedling.

Or maybe it's just a sickly mutant of a totally new and different type
<g>

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

Yahoo! Groups Links