Re: HYB: tiny rhizomes

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] Re: HYB: tiny rhizomes
  • From: Linda Mann lmann@lock-net.com
  • Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 17:54:43 -0400

Yes, it bloomed.  Short stalk, big flower.  Form wasn't too bad on this
one.  Perspective in the photos makes it hard to judge size, but maybe
you can see how short the foliage was, twice the height of the adjacent
young lettuce.

Now that I look more closely at this photo, the spring foliage was
taller than I remembered, maybe twice as tall as it is right now, but
still very short and narrow compared to its siblings.  This type of
seedling is conspicuously different in growth habit from most of the
'regular' TB seedlings.

I often rip them out before they bloom, nearly always after they bloom,
but this won a reprieve, while I try to absorb understanding of this
color pattern & implications for what both parents contribute to it.
Plus it's different looking and not totally awful for maiden bloom, and
while the foliage is poor, at least there doesn't seem to be any rot
(yet) in the mother rhizome.

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

Yahoo! Groups Links