{Disarmed} Re: Seed Question

  • Subject: {Disarmed} Re: [iris-photos] Seed Question
  • From: "Riley Probst" rprobst02@earthlink.net
  • Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2006 16:33:35 -0500

bj
Your seeds are just fine.  As iris seeds dry they take on a look exactly as you describe.  Even the fuzzy ones are ok.  Sometimes a little bit of mildew will get on them but they germinate and grow just as well as the others do.  Plant them all.  Ben Hager once said to me that he planted a lot of his seeds straight from the pod while still fresh and his germination time was a little sooner than if seeds were dried and rinsed. I have done that with Spuria seeds but never with bearded, I was a little afraid I might loose the seeds. I  tried it this year, I did divide some seeds and plant immediately, I dried some and then rinsed daily for 10 days, then planted; then took still more (all of the same pod) dried, soaked and rinsed for 10 days, then refridgerated as I always do.  Will not know results of experiment for several months. Point is, do whatever you usually do, plant all of your seeds, keep records and watch. Experimentation is fun and educationsl. Will be very exciting.
Shirley Trio
Kirkwood, Mo.