{Disarmed} Re: Seed Question

  • Subject: {Disarmed} Re: [iris-photos] Seed Question
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" jgcrump@cox.net
  • Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2006 17:39:40 -0400

BJ  --  The seeds become darkened and wrinkled in the process of drying out.  The "fuzziness" may be mold, which doesn't seem to do the seeds any harm.  October is a good time to plant them outside, whether in pots or in the ground.  You will probably increase the odds of germination by soaking the seeds for 5 days or so, then rinsing them vigorously, before planting.  This helps thin the germination-inhibiting "shell" on the surface of the seed.  The soaking softens that outer membrane and the rinsing loosens or strips it further.  I find an easy way to rinse them is to put an entire lot (that's all the seeds from a single pod) in a wire lint trap, clamp the top around a faucet with your hand, then turn on the water full-force.  I do this only once and get good germination.  By the way, just as a precaution against spilled seeds, I spread a paper towel over the drain while doing this.  --  Griff