{Disarmed} Re: Color Change

  • Subject: [PHOTO] {Disarmed} Re: [iris-photos] Color Change
  • From: iris4u2@comcast.net
  • Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 15:06:08 +0000

Billy,  Just guessing?, and I am hoping someone with a lot more experience in hybridizing chimes in but since I did post the photo I guess I  should have formulated some opinions.   I would speculate the first winter months and maturing process allow the anthocyanins which determine the pigmentation or the lack there of in the Iris to settle in and become its permanent pattern.  Although fertilization, moisture, heat, cold and stress the plant comes under and may play a part in the variations seen in its general apperance the basic pattern & color should always be the same after its initial bloom.  I guess I relate the ugly duckling  that turns into a beautiful swan to my hybridizing.  If I see potential I keep it around for an extra year or two and hope better things are to come.  The Iris we introduced as Whistler's Tune this year only had 3 buds the first couple of years. I liked the yellow/gold in the hafts and the consistancy of the horns so I didn't throw it out.  By the fourth year it was producing 8 buds and has every year thereafter.   Not really know why but just knowing changes might take place in the maturing process is encouraging to me.  If I may post one more photo.  Seedling 23BS4.  It had 11 buds the first year.  One low branch to go along with the main stem.  The plant foliage was fairly tall initially but since transplanting & lining out it seems as if the foliage is fairly compact but a very good grower.  Hoping the branching stays the same or gets better, we will see next spring.

Bob in Denver
Iris4u Iris Garden
Denver, Colorado

From: brimmsplace <brimmsplace@yahoo.com>

The second year bloom has definitely from the first.  Why do you think it improved so much in such a short time?

Billy

iris4u2@comcast.net wrote:
Talk about color change how about form change.  These photos are of seedling 22-146 The cross was made in 2002, planted in 2003 and actually bloomed in the Fall of 2003, first attachment.  The second attachment is of the Spring 2004 bloom.  In my opinion the form and color vastly improved from Fall to Spring.  Very heavy substance.  The cross is 99H6 (Banana Margarita X Godsend) X Unknown.    I put it down just in case somebody asked but it really doesn't help does it.  Sorry!

Bob in Denver
Iris4u Iris Garden
Denver, Colorado

Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone Calls to the US (and 30+ countries) for 2/min or less.

__._,_.___ Web Bug from http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97476590&grpId=43451&grpspId=1602632694&msgId=34341&stime=1158073642

Iris Iris plants Purple iris
Iris bulb Photos of

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS