Re: Color change

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Color change
  • From: "donald" donald@eastland.net
  • Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 22:54:19 -0000

> Even allowing for different lighting, it appears to me from the
photos that the flower in subsequent bloom suffered the same overall
loss of intensity of color (standards, stylearms and falls --  but
maybe not beard???)

It's possible.  In my mind (memory), it wasn't significant but when
I was viewing it all I could remember being different was the
reddish overlay on the falls.  I suspect the bloom the second year
is a bit older bloom than the first photo and had time to fade in
the sun.  Another color change for sure, but not the same as the
missing blush on the falls.

>Can it be that the "bloom of youth" fades on flowers as it does on
>folks?  And could it be that this is a phenomenon long recognized
>and which gave rise to the expression?

Well, I'd have thought that would refer to sun fade rather than the
change from one year to the next.  A freshly open blossom lacks the
wear and tear that wind, sun and insects can give a bloom in any
given day.  But if true, there's hope for an aging boomer like me.
I liked the second year bloom better than the maiden bloom,

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: