{Disarmed} Re: Re: Color change

  • Subject: {Disarmed} Re: [iris-photos] Re: Color change
  • From: Autmirislvr@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 13:28:25 EDT

In a message dated 9/13/2006 9:43:09 P.M. Central Standard Time, irischapman@netscape.net writes:
<<The cold will increase anthocyanin production over warm days. Exposure
to sun does decrease amount of anthocyanin, and thus fading of
intensity of anthocyanin. A black flower can become a dark purple
after a couple of sunny days.>>

Chuck, does the soil variation (acid vs alkaline) also affect the anthocyanin ONLY??  The striking differences I've noticed in the past seem to be the shades of purple/lavender.  My own REBOUND was so ugly in Memphis in 2002 that I wished I had a shovel in my tote bag!  The lovely reddish tones I'd always loved were an old rose/lavender with a metallic sheen.  UGLY!!  (In my eyes)  RADIANT BLISS was a bit dull and lackluster there also, but could be attributed to warmer temperatures.  It was HOT and steamy that week.  Living in KY I'm accustomed to hot and steamy!!

PHOENIX, when in the bed that was an old garden, was a deep gorgeous plum.  Moved to the top of a hill, the other end of two acres, it was a medium lavender and held NO appeal to me.  It went from being in my top 5 to the bottom 5.  (Because I normally don't like purple plicatas)  Looking back, I'm not positive this was soil conditions, since I have no memory of spring temperature variations in those years.  I've always thought it was due to soil, but . . . I can admit to a possible misinterpretation.

If you don't cross them, you'll won't have to plant them! Bah! Humbug!! Hot summer!
Betty W. in South-central KY Zone 6 ---
Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website:
Reblooming Iris - Home Page
iris-photos archives