Re: FW: HYB BT05-04 Rajah brook X Rom evening

  • Subject: Re: FW: HYB BT05-04 Rajah brook X Rom evening
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@cox.net>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 13:58:47 -0500

Loic  --  Thanks for posting, with Francelle's help, these photos.  They should be a help to those of our members who are considering crossing older irises with very modern irises.  I'd say the results of this cross are better than what usually could be expected, in terms of the form of the blossom.  So, it speaks well for ROMANTIC EVENING's ability to pass on the broad falls characteristic.  The acid test, I think, will be the next generation.  Also noteworthy is that 4 or 5 of the 6 seedlings appear to have the velvety texture in the falls, which both parents possess. This characteristic is often lost in a cross, and it appears to require a gene for it in both parents. --  Griff