RE: HYB:inheritance of flower form (was TT05-55a=Louvois X Rom. Ev. on photos)

  • Subject: RE: HYB:inheritance of flower form (was TT05-55a=Louvois X Rom. Ev. on photos)
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@cox.net>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 22:23:53 -0500

Linda  --  A progression from "banjo" or paddle-shaped falls to rounded falls can sometimes be effected in two generations, in my experience.  For example, I crossed WABASH (violin-shaped falls) with a Crossman yellow seedling which had fulsome falls, i.e., not round, but not pinched.  The cross produced a muddy yellow bitone whose falls weren't as fulsome as its yellow parent, but also weren't pinched.  Its falls also did not have the velvety texture of WABASH.  But it seemed to me to have latent good things in it.  So, I crossed it back to WABASH to try to regain the velvet.  That produced 93L1 (l) and 93L6 (r):
As may be seen, 93L1 brought back the velvet, but the falls tend toward paddle shape.  93L6, however, has broad falls, while losing the velvet.  Both have edges on the falls.
I also crossed the muddy yellow bitone with CHINESE TREASURE.  This produced 93B8:
93B8 kept some of the velvet, and the edge, and was also an amoena.  I crossed it with SWEETER THAN WINE, which has broad, round falls, the same general coloration, and appears to carry the velvet gene.  The result was G954K13:
Now, the velvet is back fully, the white edge, and the amoena, but the falls, though nicely broadened, are still a bit narrow at the hafts.  So, I crossed it with STARRING.  That gave 02B1, a TB, and 02B3, a BB:
Thus, in four generations, we have rounded falls and broad hafts.
--  Griff