Re: HYB: Questionable seedling

  • Subject: Re: HYB: Questionable seedling
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@cox.net>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 19:19:55 -0400

Hi, Francelle  --  I agree with Brian.  Sometimes, an iris will grow better elsewhere than in its home garden.  I know it from experience.  My only guess is that, occasionally, a cross will produce a seedling that is viable, but will not flourish in its native environment.  I'd suggest that you keep one rhizome and breed it, as has been suggested, and send the other one elsewhere.
I have had a seedling for several years that I like very much, but it just doesn't do well here.  I was surprised to learn that it is growing and increasing very well at Winterberry Gardens, which is about 1,000 feet higher elevation.  Also, another seedling, which I really prize, suddenly nose-dived last year and I was left with only two attached rhizomes.  I sent one to Winterberry Gardens and kept the other.  Both are now flourishing.  So, I'd say, take a chance.  --  Griff