Re: Questionable seedling

  • Subject: Re: Questionable seedling
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 19:15:41 -0400

That's what I was getting at, Francelle.

Without doing test crosses, I haven't a clue which seedling from a given
cross is going to give seedlings that will move me towards my goals.
Like you, I've found a couple of cases where the weaker seeming parent
gave stronger kids.

Same thing with storebought sibs!

I keep tossing recessive color/pattern mixes into my crosses
(storeboughts), but so far, have resisted saving anything <just> because
of the color or pattern. Fortunately (??), only one really interesting
one has show up so far, and it seems to be pretty healthy, so I don't
feel guilty keeping it.

It's a good thing we all like to experiment and explore!

<The weak 35-27 A produced about two dozen strong seedlings, most of
which bloomed this spring. The strong 35-27 B seeds had very poor
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8