Re: Re: Misinformation

  • Subject: Re: Re: Misinformation
  • From: "David Ferguson" <manzano57@msn.com>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 12:52:46 -0600

Some related thoughts, but not meant to disagree nor to agree with Vicki's well-made points.  Within the framework of current classes, this is all true.

What I wanted to bring up (I'm sure it's not a new subject), is that to my eyes tetraploid MTBs should be in a class of their own, and, along with certain other groups that are "different" or unique, I think it is time to add and perhaps even re-define a few of the class.  The diploid MTBs are SO different, in general, from the tetraploids, that it seems they had aught to both be recognized as classes worthy of separate distinction.  Size is not the only way to group Irises, and the classifications used by the AIS seem, in some cases, not up to the diversity of types that now exist.  Of course there will always be individual cultivars that are never quite "right" in any class, and I'm sure there will be (or are) cultivars that bridge the gap between the diploid and tetraploid MTBs.  The IBs are similarly diverse in composition, but it seems that in that class at least the majority are still the basic "somewhere between" dwarfs (since it is a "name" I spell it this way) and TBs that tend to hover around 44 chromosomes, or lean into the tetraploid range, and they tend to look like they belong in the same class, but there are a number of stray diploids that look more like big MTBs, and other odd-balls.

I guess the way my mind works (I tend to think in terms of what is related to what, and not what is the same size as what), the size based classification tends to put many 'unlikes' together, and separates many 'likes'.  It's a workable system, not to be thrown out, but it seems to deserve a little tweaking too.

Best to all,
Dave Ferguson
central NM