Re: HYB: another HoM X Renown sdlg

  • Subject: Re: HYB: another HoM X Renown sdlg
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 05:27:52 -0400

Yes, this one and its sib that I posted previously are both clean white,
no yellow at hafts or elsewhere that is noticeable - I will check to see
if any is in the throat.

RENOWN has some anthocyanin in the falls, esp in cool weather, but HoM
doesn't have any, so (here I go...) I think that means HoM is IIII and
RENOWN is at least Iiii, maybe more. (right?) I am still not sure I
understand what these various dosages look like. I thought I did, but
now ....

As for yellow/pink/orange pigments, I'm not sure I understand white
either. It seems to be inherited the same way that white (inhibitor of
anthocyanin) is inherited for blue pigments - i.e., cumulative/dosage
effect of the genes that cause white, in this case, like mixing paint.

Shoulders seem to be inherited separately & I haven't grown enough
seedlings & parents with shoulders to have a clue how that works. Other
than to suspect that it also has a dosage effect for distribution of
pigment (not intensity of color).

& with at least two different yellow pigments involved, it seems like
there could be more than one genetic path to white operating separately?
together?

<I don't understand white. This bloom looks very clean. I've not grown
RENOWN, but from its photos, I'd have expected a lot more shoulder color
(yellow) and some veining or haft marks when used with HARVEST OF
MEMORIES, which I have grown. Those don't show at all in the photo. I've
had white appear (not too often) in crosses from non-white parents and
was stumped on what happened for it to occur.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA>