Re: Re: HYB: another HoM X Renown sdlg

  • Subject: Re: Re: HYB: another HoM X Renown sdlg
  • From: irischapman@aim.com
  • Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 11:16:06 -0400

It is an interesting question.

Linda, are there other seedlings from this cross that you can tell us
about?

I checked in registry, and it would certainly seem as if HoM acts as
if it is alternative yellow. 'Howdy Cloud' by Jim Hedgecock is pure
white, no hafts and from HoM X Ruffled Sunshine.

Unchained Melody, also pure whiite from HoM X Soap Opera, which has a
yellow rim, so has genes for yellow.

Renown is a plicata, very lightly marked.

HoM obviously has "I" gene. No need to speculate on how many copies of
"I" unless you are dealing with a large number of seedlings, and can
properly evaluate. Like about 20 seedlings at least. Getting two
non-anthocyanin seedlings out of two has about the same proabilty as
tossing a coin and getting two heads in a row. About one out of four
chances.

I have often stated that haft marks are not part of plicata genetics,
but a seperate factor. Plicatas often carry this extra factor, as no
one breeds for clean hafts on plicatas, as what is the point. Therefor
plicatas often also carry genes for hafts. It would seem as as Matrix
does not have "haft" genetics.

Chuck Chapman