Re: HYB: HoM X Renown sdlgs

  • Subject: Re: HYB: HoM X Renown sdlgs
  • From: "d7432da" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 22:56:05 -0000

> When you asked about "shoulders", Donald, I assumed you meant the yellow
> shoulder patch that some irises have (i.e., GOLD BURST type) which my
> own pet theory is that it's genetically related to yellow fall spot
> pattern, <not> the yellow or pink version of the anthocyanin variegata
> type spot.
>
> Did you mean that type of solid "blush" of yellow or the yellow (usually
> plus anthocyanin) haft veins that Chuck is talking about?

I was referring to both. Frankly, from this cross, I'd have expected some of both to appear on any seedlings that had basically white blooms. The one in this photo wouldn't have surprised me. Mind you I've only seen photos of RENOWN. I tend to think of the wash of color as something different from haft marks, but there are a lot of things with lines out there that others put in the haft category and I do not. Historics are the ones that define what I consider true haft marks. Once you depart from that classic pattern seen on many of those, then I tend to think they aren't true haft marks though haft mark genetics may be contributing to what is seen. Solid color on the shoulders may be along those lines. The presence of color in that area may be due to some latent haft mark genetics being present, but that kind of color can't be called haft marks. Haft color, maybe, but not haft marks.

I haven't worked with white blooms much, but a couple of times white seedlings have shown up and completely surprised me.

Donald