CULT: question
  • Subject: CULT: question
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 21:43:53 -0500

Some seedlings from last year. Some didn't put on increase and I was happy
they didn't bloom. Now some increase is showing since things are waking up
now. The problem is they aren't in the ground. What I've been doing is
resetting these rhizomes so the increase is in the soil. What I don't know
is whether this is of any benefit or not. It hasn't been necessary to
uproot everything on most - just pop one side loose and dig some soil from
underneath and then reset everything deeper. Obviously the second photo
shows earlier increase and I may detach those from the spent rhizome and
reset them. Haven't tackled that one yet. I wouldn't be bothering except a
disproportionate number are seedlings derived using unbalanced chromosome
parents and those are too hard to get and too few in number for me to
ignore. I really want those increases to catch hold and grow roots. Has
anyone fiddled around with rhizomes that do this? Is my approach correct or
am I risking rot?

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA

JPEG image