Re: CULT: question
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: CULT: question
  • From: "d7432da" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2010 18:14:17 -0000

Betty,

I think adding soil would only work if it were put in the entire bed. Otherwise I think the wind and rain would level it out and the rhizome would just end up too high as before. My soil is rocky. In heavy clay, but enough rocks and gravel that it drains rapidly. No rocky mulch.

I'm thinking it's probably not genetically based as far as the rhizomes being out of the ground. Could be on the lateness of the increases. They are all growing in the same general area and other things show signs of pushing above the soil line there as well. May be a function of rocky soil being pushed up by tree roots. The area is under two large oaks. Certainly areas close to the trees push up rocks and stones, but those don't have roots to anchor them. However I'm accustomed to planting under the oaks and it hasn't been a problem elsewhere. Soil can vary wildly in just a few feet on the sloping ground, so it still could be what's going on.

Donald