Re: CULT: question
  • Subject: Re: CULT: question
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@cox.net>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2010 15:23:39 -0400

Donald  --  If the two rhizomes in the bottom photo are increases from what appears to be the old rhizome in the center, I'd divide and replant them in a level spot with the kind of soil you want.  The increases on those two rhizomes are well placed for replanting with a thin covering of soil at their bases.  As to the plant in the top photo, it looks like the position of the increases would necessitate robbing (in this case, burying) Peter to pay Paul, so maybe that one should be left growing as is until the increases have matured enough to be separated.  --  Griff

Sent: Friday, September 03, 2010 10:43 PM
Subject: [iris-photos] CULT: question

Some seedlings from last year. Some didn't put on increase and I was happy
they didn't bloom. Now some increase is showing since things are waking up
now. The problem is they aren't in the ground. What I've been doing is
resetting these rhizomes so the increase is in the soil. What I don't know
is whether this is of any benefit or not. It hasn't been necessary to
uproot everything on most - just pop one side loose and dig some soil from
underneath and then reset everything deeper. Obviously the second photo
shows earlier increase and I may detach those from the spent rhizome and
reset them. Haven't tackled that one yet. I wouldn't be bothering except a
disproportionate number are seedlings derived using unbalanced chromosome
parents and those are too hard to get and too few in number for me to
ignore. I really want those increases to catch hold and grow roots. Has
anyone fiddled around with rhizomes that do this? Is my approach correct or
am I risking rot?

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA