OT: it's the iris' fault
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: OT: it's the iris' fault
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 11:00:42 -0500

Here's a plant that would never have happened except for growing iris from
seeds. I've become so geared to watching iris pods, that when I was at a
couples' home who were growing as many cannas and crepe myrtles as I grow
iris and noticed a row of spent canna stalks that had pods I cadged one of
the pods. It had only two black seeds about the size of BBs. Both seeds
sprouted and have been in pots since. This started blooming today. Not
exactly what I'm used to when I think of cannas. Small and slender, but a
great color. I think it's late for it to start blooming and might become a
larger plant and bloom if it ever could get out of the pot. I'm not
especially fond of cannas, but it was fun anyway. Fortunately I didn't try
any crepe myrtle seeds :).

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA